InternationaleJournals

Influencing Socio-Demographic Factors on Contraceptive Use in Bangladesh: Multivariate Approach

Md. Rashedul Islam1, Md. Nurul Islam2, Md. Monsur Rahman3, Md. Rafiqul Islam4

1PhD Fellow, Department of Statistics, University of Rajshahi, Rajshahi-6205, Bangladesh. E-mail:  rasheddinaj@gmail.com

2Professor, Department of Statistics, University of Rajshahi, Rajshahi-6205, Bangladesh, E-mail: mnurul58@yahoo.com

3Professor, Department of Statistics, University of Rajshahi, Rajshahi-6205, Bangladesh, E-mail:  monsur_st_ru@yahoo.com

4Professor, Department of Population Science and Human Resource Development, University of Rajshahi, Rajshahi-6205, Bangladesh. E-mail: rafique_pops@yahoo.com

Corresponding author:
Dr. Md. Rafiqul Islam, Professor, Department of Population Science and Human Resource Development,  University of Rajshahi, Rajshahi-6205, Bangladesh . E-mail:  rafique_pops@yahoo.com

ABSTRACT  

Background: Contraceptive use prevents pregnancy by interfering with the normal process of ovulation, fertilization and implantation.

Objectives: The main objectives of this study are to examine the influences of socio-demographic factors on contraceptive use among reproductive women in Bangladesh.

Data and Methods: Data of 13,951 ever married women were extracted from the Bangladesh Demographic and Health Survey (BDHS) 2011. Percentage distribution, chi-square test and binary logistic regression analysis were used as the statistical tools to analyze the data.

Results: There have found 93% women ever use and remaining 7% never use contraceptives. Resident of city corporation, town and rural women ever use contraceptives respectively    92%, 90% and about 86%. About 88% women never experienced son mortality, 10% experienced single son mortality and about 2% experienced two or more son’s mortality. No educated women taken 100% risk to pregnant, there have found incomplete primary, complete primary, incomplete secondary, complete secondary and higher educated women taken 58.3%, 41.6%, 38.6%, 26.7% and 21.9% lower risk to pregnant respectively. Service holder is the highest contraceptive user and businessman is the second highest contraceptive user. The women aged <20, 20-24, 25-29 and 30-35 years are ever using contraceptive method 3.403, 3.250, 2.712 and 1.980 times more respectively than that of women aged 35-49 years.

Conclusions: The son mortality percentages reflect the recent achievement in improving the child mortality level of Bangladesh. Education of women shows that the higher the educational attainment more the use of contraception. Age pattern of ever married women shows that the lower age group of women, higher the probability of getting ever use contraceptive method. The spousal desire for children illustrate that husband is the final decision maker and taker. Region of residence show that in order to achieve the replace level of fertility, the family planning program, rural education and adult education should be strengthened specially in Sylhet and Chittagong region as early as possible by the government of Bangladesh.

Key words: Ever use contraceptive, ever married women, Chi-square test, Logistic regression model, Bangladesh Demographic and Health Survey (BDHS).

    

 

 

 

 

InternationaleJournal of Mathematical Sciences, Technology and Humanities
Volume
7, Issue
3, Pages:  23 - 42